PDA

View Full Version : Central Indiana military veterans partner with horses to combat post-traumatic stress

Pamequus
06-23-2013, 11:20 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130623/NEWS/306210094/Military-veterans-partner-horses-combat-post-traumatic-stress-disorder

“He’s given me faith in my left hand." (This brought tears to my eyes.)

"Veterans — and civilian clients with problems ranging from attention deficit disorder to emotional/behavioral issues, abuse, autism and learning impairment — partner with horses. They learn lessons in trust, respect, communication, cooperation and leadership, said Debbie Anderson, Strides’ founder and executive director and a PATH-certified instructor assisted by recreational therapist Blair McKissock."

Elisedh
07-03-2013, 09:08 AM
This looks like a nice partnership. Could I ask what type of evaluation Strides to Success is using to gauge the efficacy of their programming? Other than Toda's study on TBI and the new grant awarded to Johnson by the HHRF, studies are thin on the ground. I have almost 800 pieces of research on EAI and mental health, 19 of those are on PTSD and the military but few are peer-reviewed, see The EAI Repository. (www.equineassistedinterventions.org). If anyone has empirical data, please let me know.

Elise Rothman d'Hauthuille, The EAI Repository
Equine Assisted Interventions – Research & Funding